Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Changing Education Paradigms
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
i don't think he suggested anywhere that you cannot be productive or creative in isolation.
I don't intend to suggest that he did.

My point is that this is roughly the view of modern education: each student is a discrete unit expected to be productive, on its own, in roughly the same way as other discrete units. A failure to demonstrate this ability in a test that emphasizes work and knowledge as an individual endeavour is considered a failure on the part of the individual. Knowledge and productivity as a whole doesn't work like that. The only extent to which the focus on an individual is relevant is to the extent that it makes that individual as efficient a contributor to the aggregate as possible. There is an under-emphasis on the social contingency of knowledge, and on the gains of off-loading types of cognitive tasks to those who are better at that type. There is an over-emphasis on being a particular type of productive member in society.

Maybe just ranting....
Ligeia is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote