Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Hurricane Irene
Thread: Hurricane Irene
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
6cubed
216 :}

Banned

Representing:

This would be appropriate:

It was def exaggerated. The winds were really intense and scary in the middle of the night but the media did overplay it... when I posted at 5am it was bad but didn't get much worse. At least consumers contributed to the economy tho.

Huntington is about 15 minutes from me (I'm in the Oyster Bay area). The only bad thing is that I'm within one mile of the Long Island sound and people half a mile were evacuated. I was always more concerned about flooding or trees falling... mainly property damage instead of fatalities. And there has been a lot of flooding and the roads are closed due to debris, but otherwise it wasn't a big deal. I only lost power momentarily although a lot of people didn't have it all night.

There was def an element of fear mongering but that is the US media... to make a story. Parts of the southshore and the Hamptons were badly flooded but that's expected. There's some flooding in my town too but everything is really calm now. I also have no sympathy for surfers who were killed... their putting the lives in danger of those who may have tried to rescue them.
6cubed is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote