Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - DeMar DeRozan apologizes for Drew League fracas
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Acie
landry fields forever

Administrator

Representing:
Default DeMar DeRozan apologizes for Drew League fracas

Quote:
On Saturday, DeRozan had the chance to pull out a last-second win in a Drew League playoff game for his Go H.A.M. team. Instead, he was at the center of a mini-controversy that resulted in a tossed ball, a bumped referee and a bunch of yapping.

Here's how it went down. Go H.A.M. trailed a Long Beach team named Problems 85-84 with six seconds left. DeRozan took a side inbounds pass near the three-point line, drove hard right into the key and contacted a rotating help defender while putting up a runner. The runner bounced off but was dunked in by one of DeRozan's teammates on the put-back. That potentially game-winning basket didn't count, however, because a referee whistled DeRozan for a charge on the play. (See video of the play below.)

Play continued with Problems hitting two free throws. Go H.A.M. wasn't able to get up a game-tying three-pointer on their final possession and time expired, giving Problems the 87-84 victory. After the buzzer sounded, DeRozan made a point to track down the basketball, which he heaved across the court in frustration. Moments later, one of his teammates charged at the referee, body-bumping him with a fair bit of force, causing the official to stagger backwards but not fall to the ground. The teammate was eventually restrained after some further barking. (See video of the exchange below.)

On Sunday, DeRozan owned up for his part in the fracas on Twitter. "I want to apologize for my actions at the Drew League today," DeRozan said. "I got caught up in the Heat of the moment, but should've handled it better."

He also expressed his appreciation towards the Drew League. "Shout out to the Drew League for providing a great atmosphere for basketball," DeRozan said. "Appreciate the opportunity to play there!"
LINK - CBS Sports.com

Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote