Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - NBA Relocation
Thread: NBA Relocation
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
West Coast NBA Fan
is pounding the rock!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12 View Post
Not sure what are the best teams to relocate, but I guess Charlotte would be near the top of my list. It has very little history in the city and is struggling financially. Ideally, Seattle and Vancouver deserve another chance for an NBA team. Not sure that will work though since it would unbalance the conferences.
The problem with Charlotte and Memphis is that they both have massive out clause penalties if they move. Both cities have very new buildings and they're still being paid for so if the teams were to leave, they would have to pay a ton to get out of their lease and that would make the relocation not make sense from a financial standpoint.

I say New Orleans to Seattle is by far the best but with no plans for a new arena yet, Seattle is still not in the driver's seat.

Next best is Vancouver. Let's not forget that the fanbase was really good. They averaged around 16 or 17,000 for their first 4 years and that was with teams going 15-67, 14-68, 19-63 and then a league worst 8-42 in the lockout year.

Attendance dropped to 13,000 in year 5 because everyone thought they were St. Louis bound and then it was the same in year 6 due to them knowing that it was going to relocate to Memphis.

The major issue was the Canadian dollar and the lack of corporate and broadcast revenue. Not to mention the lack of a local buyer. Those aren't problems now as Canuck ownership has said that they will buy the Hornets, the Canadian dollar is on par with the US dollar and that is a plus as far as getting corporate and broadcast revenue.

Also, China and the Phillipines are good NBA markets and the city is over a third Chinese and Filipino so you have the makings of a good fan base to go with the fans that packed the house in the first 4 years in the first go around.
West Coast NBA Fan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote