Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The Green Party Has Jumped The Shark
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

Well, I don't think this is an indication that the Green Party has jumped the shark any more than any other party. If being wrong on policy, or contradicting your values in some respect (assuming scientific literacy is a core Green Party value, which I would disagree with), then every party has jumped the shark.

As for the content of what she is saying, she's absolutely wrong. First of all, Havdas' research is nowhere near consensus; second, Havdas' experiments were not sufficiently rigorous (a recent one from last year was especially bad for its lack of double-blinding); third, it is scientifically implausible.

Then if we look at how Ms. May is reading these studies, it is obvious that she is using insufficient skepticism. She, like many others, has obviously run with reports in pop-science media earlier this year about EMF killing bees (to use just one example) but has obviously either not read the study or lacks the scientific literacy to put it in its proper context.

This should not be that much of a surprise. I regularly cringe at how scientifically illiterate the public and their politicians are. The Green Party has shown for a long time that they are more interested in advancing their New Age perspectives than in utilizing science.

Last edited by Ligeia; 07-28-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote