Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Hypothetical question for the Euroleague fans
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
MARTYNAS
some creepy guy

Representing:

True 'trane.

One thing. It's way harder to judge Euro players individual talent. Because it's all about the team. NBA is way more talented, but it happens, that mediocre or just Euroleague bench warmers looks better in the NBA, for example Omer Asik, Aleksandar Vujacic, Omri Casspi or Brandon Jennings. The same gamestyle is different. Ty Lawson may be better NBA player than Juan Carlos Navarro, but in Europe, it's opposite. So it's hard to judge European teams talent just like that. For NBA fans it may look weak, but it's not necessary true.
And finally, as I said, to win in Europe, you have to play like a team. Like we saw in FIBA, which is very similar to European basketball, even best talent in the world can lose and sometimes, even best players can't translate their game well. like Dwight Howard, who ironically was bad defensively.
you also need bench. Best European teams has very strong bench, their bench is basically the same strong as their starting lineup. It helps to get ready against any matchup and always show something new. You usually can't say who will be da killer, 6-8 guys can lead team to victory, it depends whos hot that day.

All these players in Tranes list looks very good for Euroleague, but I would say who IMO would be EL disappointments :
Birdman (almost sure)
Omer Asik (never ever was good EL player, he suited for the NBA)
Gortat (same. one dimensional defenders are not great in EL. EL has no super talented players and it's more a team game, so EL do not need one dimensional defenders as NBA teams)
Barbosa (didnt impressed me FIBA championships, way worse than Marcelo Huertas)
MARTYNAS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote