Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Election Time.
Thread: Election Time.
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
enjoying having the keys to destiny

perusing ancient database

I tend to get more involved in local politics more so than provincial and federal. Just to throw a not-so-well thought out response to Benzo's question of why young people tend to not get stoked about an election, it probably boils down to a bit of snoochies boochies was alluding to.
The American practice of having two diametrically oppposed individuals square off in a no-holds barred shitfest has kind of permeated the popular perception of what electoral politics is. A lot of young people have very little political awareness as is, and so having a system with up to six people running for the PM I think doesn't offer the type of conflict people are trained to gravitate towards.
Another problem is that simply put, most people, whatever way you want to slice them, don't understand that political system as is, and have very little interest in it. Parliamentary disucssions tend to only make the news when something significant happens, and it's usually again, playing up the diametric scheme of two people exchanging insults.
Young people want the sizzle, they've been given it, but they don't want the steak. For the large part it's a group littered with irresponsibility and unchecked narcissistic desires. That's a solid recipe for apathy in my opinion.
ClingRap is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote