Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Lots to like about Valanciunas
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
DanH
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Representing:
Default For a Bargnani-JV matchup to be possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallikid View Post
Oh my God, can we please set up some sort of thread detailing what has to happen for JV to face AB?
First, Lithuania and Italy have to get out of their respective groups.

Lithuania will need to be top 3 out of a group of Poland, Great Britain, Turkey, Lithuania, Spain, and one of (Finland, Hungary, Portugal). Turkey and Spain are probably locks, and I would expect Lithuania to have no problem either. Poland, Britain, and the other 3 teams are definitely underdogs here.

Italy will need to be top 3 out of a group of Italy, Israel, France, Latvia, Germany, and Serbia. I don't know as much about this group, but Italy would have to catch lightning in a bottle and sneak ahead of at least one of France, Germany, and Serbia.

In the first round, each team plays every other team in their group once. So they would probably need to win 3 games at the very least, and probably 4 to get through, depending on whether the top teams are undefeated or not.

IF they both make it through, the good news is they will meet up in the 2nd round - not the elimination final round, since their two groups (A and B) make up one group of six teams in round 2 (Group E). Each team in group A plays each team in group B once (so 3 games for each team). So, Lithuania would then be guaranteed to play against Italy once.

At that point there is pretty much no chance of Italy going further in the competition. Although if they do (they would need to be top 4 of the 6 in group E - and would probably need to win 2 out of 3 games to do it), they could possibly face Lithuania in the final round (elimination games). It would depend entirely on their relative placement in group E when in the final round they could meet (from as early as the semi-finals or consolation rounds, 5th to 8th place deciding, to as late as the final).
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote