Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - 2010-11 RF Player Report Card - Andrea Bargnani
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
DanH
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Representing:

Here's the thing about Bargs. He is far and away the most talented player on the team. Hands down.

But for whatever reason, he doesn't want to work at either end. Defensively, this is obvious. He holds his own one on one, but is often out hustled for rebounds and fairly often just forgets to rotate. He certainly wasn't the only problem with the Raps' D, but he was one of the biggest ones. I think he gets a bit too much flack in this regard, but that's only because of the epic level of flack he gets.

Offensively, for me, he is even worse. Because he could be SO GOOD. Every game you can see the talent shine through on a play or two. But he just doesn't stick to his strengths. He is actually a good 3 point shooter - but most of the time he pump fakes, and then either travels or pulls up for a very long two. If he constrained his game to open three point shots (spreading the floor), drives or cuts off of good coverage on those 3 point attempt plays, and posting up smaller players guarding him because of that perimeter game, he would do well. But instead he so often hesitates, or tries to do too much, or doesn't want to do anything at all, so just passes it back out.

I will leap for joy if he puts it together next year, I've been a supporter of his since day 1, since his talent is just so obvious, but if he can't start having an impact elsewhere, he has to improve his efficiency on offense at the very least.

A D+ for this year. Hoping for a nice A next year, whenever it happens. If things ever click for this kid, we'll have something real good on our hands. If not, well, c'est la vie of a Raptors fan.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote