Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Toronto worried about fans of the future
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

But SJ he does kind of have a point. Toronto notoriously undersupports minor hockey (St. Mike's Majors, Marlies). As a spectacle, Toronto loves its Leafs but doesn't really care about the other hockey teams. So yeah, I dig his point saying that Toronto is a Leafs market.

And I would agree that its moreso a soccer city than anything else simply based on the demographics of the city. Problem was until the ushering in of TFC it was a majority that was mostly silent due to an outlet. That's not to say these same fans aren't hockey fans.

The concern should come in though with changing demographics. I would venture to say that most young people under the age of say, 14 are more basketball fans than hockey fans. Not to say they don't enjoy either sport (many of us love all sports) but I'd be willing to say that most would rather choose basketball to watching instead of hockey. THAT should concern MLSE and even the NHL.

Last edited by Claudius; 09-15-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote