Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Lockout official
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
jeffb
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Representing:

Quote:
Unfortunately, the NBA labor dispute won’t be settled based upon wrong or right. Greed, or the owners’ willingness to ignore its inherent danger, will determine whether we see professional basketball in 2011-12.

To my great surprise, the players and David Stern have done their jobs.

They fixed the game. The stench of the 2004 Palace brawl is gone. Without the traditional assistance of college basketball star-making, the league has developed and cultivated embraceable, ratings-driving superstars worthy of inheriting Michael, Magic and Larry’s thrones.

Only the uninformed, willfully ignorant and biased could knock the product the NBA served this past season. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Dirk Nowitzki, Derrick Rose, Amar’e Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Russell Westbrook and all the rest put on a highly competitive, highly entertaining, eight-month reality series that ended with a Dallas-like, cliff-hanger shocker.

Who shot LBJ?

Seriously, prime-time television hadn’t delivered this kind of edge-of-your-seat drama since Kristin Shepard busted a cap in J.R. Ewing’s ass. The mystery of what happened to LeBron James in the NBA Finals rivals the 1979-80 fictional oilman whodunit.

Ironically, a writers strike delayed the follow-up season of Dallas by two months. There’s a chance -- the NBA collective-bargaining agreement expires at midnight -- we could go a whole year without witnessing LeBron’s bid for revenge.

If it happens, blame the owners.

I’m not in the tank for the players. If you’ve followed my perspective over the past five to 10 years, you know I’ve been hypercritical of professional athletes and their inability to conduct business.

As a lifelong Pacers fan, I watched Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O’Neal and Jamaal Tinsley destroy my favorite franchise with immature, reckless behavior on and off the court.

I thought what Allen Iverson represented and the way he carried himself were bad for NBA business. Rasheed Wallace’s insistence on bickering with the refs while play ensued was a terrible look for the league.

I believed the NBA’s growth as a TV product was irreversibly tied to the health of college basketball as a TV product.

I was wrong. Stern instituted a dress code, clamped down on player behavior, tweaked the rules a bit. Teams tired of Iverson’s shtick, Wallace and Iverson retired and Ron Artest (soon to be Metta World Peace) became a somewhat lovable, well-intentioned mental-health advocate with a huge heart.

Oh, and let’s don’t forget LeBron James accidently transformed himself into J.R. Ewing, the villain America loves to hate, with The Decision, a preseason championship celebration and not one, not two, not three but numerous public-relations gaffes.

Things are so good in the NBA right now that the owners might be willing to throw away next season as part of a ploy to better position themselves for their first true TiVo contract.

To me, that’s what is at the crux of this labor dispute. The owners want to crush the NBA players union and get the players to agree to a 10-year deal that will in no way reflect the value of the league once the owners negotiate new television packages in five years.

Players aren't problem in NBA lockout - NBA News | FOX Sports on MSN
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote