Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - 45mil hard cap? Serious hardball
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
meh, they'll end up with a 60+Mil flex cap. just get it over with already.
I doubt it, since with a ~$55M soft cap about 20 of 30 teams lost money.

A 33% pay cut seems too steep and ridiculous (I was hearing 15% elsewhere), but something needs to be done to reign in salaries on teams.

Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
According to NBA executives familiar with the league’s strategies, once the lockout is in place, the owners will push for a hard salary cap of $45 million, the elimination of guaranteed contracts and ask that the players swallow a 33 percent salary cut.
$45M hard cap sounds like a starting point, not an end point. considering the average team had a payroll of ~$69 million last season, reaching $45M would be extremely difficult. Yes, a 33% paycut would take players to that spot, but that's an extremely bitter pill to swallow. Of course, getting no pay during a recession will definitely make the owners' case a lot easier to swallow, especially because of NBA players' infamous spending habits:

60% Of NBA Players Are Broke Within 5 Years Of Retirement | THE RICKARDS REVIEW

Ironically, I bet one of our former players - Matt Bonner - will weather this strike just fine. Remember these tidbits:

Why Toronto's Matt Bonner is car-less in Canada - 04.10.06 - SI Vault
BballWatcher is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote