Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - 45mil hard cap? Serious hardball
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
BballWatcher
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
meh, they'll end up with a 60+Mil flex cap. just get it over with already.
I doubt it, since with a ~$55M soft cap about 20 of 30 teams lost money.

A 33% pay cut seems too steep and ridiculous (I was hearing 15% elsewhere), but something needs to be done to reign in salaries on teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
According to NBA executives familiar with the league’s strategies, once the lockout is in place, the owners will push for a hard salary cap of $45 million, the elimination of guaranteed contracts and ask that the players swallow a 33 percent salary cut.
$45M hard cap sounds like a starting point, not an end point. considering the average team had a payroll of ~$69 million last season, reaching $45M would be extremely difficult. Yes, a 33% paycut would take players to that spot, but that's an extremely bitter pill to swallow. Of course, getting no pay during a recession will definitely make the owners' case a lot easier to swallow, especially because of NBA players' infamous spending habits:

60% Of NBA Players Are Broke Within 5 Years Of Retirement | THE RICKARDS REVIEW

Ironically, I bet one of our former players - Matt Bonner - will weather this strike just fine. Remember these tidbits:

Why Toronto's Matt Bonner is car-less in Canada - 04.10.06 - SI Vault
BballWatcher is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote