Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - FoxSports.com's Top 10 NBA PG's
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 AM   #36 (permalink)
moremilk
whatever

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggleBled View Post
deron was a media darling for the play-offs of his sophomore season, last season was all chris paul. you wouldnt have even noticed that the jazz had won two less game then the hornets, or that deron average 19 and 10 if you weren't a basketball enthusiast. he received a 1/4 of the attention paul received.

i'm not sure how much basketball you follow, but paul was the mvp candidate. not deron.

also, im not calling paul a flashy player, but his style of play is flashier and more high-lite friendly than williams'.

also

i don't know how much deron you've watch, moremilk, but i would love to hear why he'll fall out of favor.
Paul almost got the MVP because he did stuff few (if any) other point guards have done in the history of the league. But even deep into the season, there were lots of media people on Deron's bandwagon, only towards the last 2 months did Paul start to take over.

And you did call Paul a flashy player, but that's ok, I understand what you mean. And I agree that he's more fun to watch than Deron, but the key is that he's not doing it for the flash (like Arenas or Kobe), it's just a result of his ability to do extraordinary things. Steve Nash is also very flashy, some of the things he does are amazing - how many times did you hear the tv guys saying that "he looks like he has eyes behind his back" etc. But, as Paul, Nash is not throwing those passes because they are flashy, but because they are the best solution for that particular moment.

When it comes to watching, I pretty much saw all their playoff games (and the the ones against the Raptors of course), and what Paul did against Dallas and San Antonio was extraordinary. He made bowen look like a rookie, and it got to the point where Popovich had to concede and put Parker on him, because it wouldn't have made any difference anyway (at least bowen could annihilate Stojakovic).

And, finally, Deron was never in my favor, I always thought he is overrated. He's a great point guard, don't get me wrong, but he's more Jose Calderon than Chris Paul. He will be a very good player for the rest of his career, maybe even get into the hall of fame. But Paul right now looks like a candidate for best point guard ever to me. Different league.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote