Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Finding the formula for ultimate success in the NBA
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
powerfulpanda

Representing:
Default Finding the formula for ultimate success in the NBA

The Dallas Mavericks winning the 2011 NBA championship is basically being viewed as a positive for the NBA, at least for those who can get past Mark Cuban’s success.

It’s likely an aberration, like the 2004 Detroit Pistons, because the Mavs’ formula, in effect, went contrary to the general conventional wisdom about playing for a championship.

Of course, I’ll also overlook Game 1 against the Portland Trail Blazers, when Dirk Nowitzki shot 13 free throws in the fourth quarter to save the Mavs (Portland shot 13 all game) as it should/could/would have been 3-1 going back to Dallas in round one. But, I digress.

The general formula for ultimate success is having two or three elite players. Here’s a look at how many teams view their ability to compete for a title:

-- Three top five players (Lakers and Celtics of 60’s and 80’s), or;

-- Two players in the top five at their positions (Heat, Bulls, Lakers), or;

-- Three players in the top eight to 10 at their positions (Spurs), or;

-- Four players in the top 10 to 12 at their positions (Pistons, Mavericks).

Here’s my rating of the top 25 players at each position at the end of the 2010-11 season. I always give the edge to my view of impact on the game.

Based on these rankings, the Heat, Bulls, Hawks, Thunder, Celtics, Knicks, Lakers, Grizzlies and Spurs should be the elite teams going forward, though MVP candidates generally are tiebreakers. As it was with the Mavericks this season. Though what it suggests with no team with three top players is, as we’ve seen, the NBA continues to be wide open for surprise teams like the Mavs to win. It starts to come down to not losing a game in the playoffs you should win and making some shots when it was most unexpected, all of which is good for the NBA. The top teams have stars, but a lot of teams have a chance. Though Miami remains the favorite with two top two players. Maybe the team most on the edge of a breakthrough and most in need of a shooting guard is Memphis with three top six players.

Finding the formula for ultimate success in the NBA | Bulls

things to note:
calderon doesn't make top 25 pg
bargnani 21st center
demar 12th sg
raptors have no one in the top 25 in pg, sf, pf

Last edited by powerfulpanda; 06-28-2011 at 03:36 PM.
powerfulpanda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote