Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Raptors Among Teams Calling Suns About Steve Nash before Draft
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
you get so hung up on 'proof' and 'being right' all the time.
I'm sorry you feel that way, although I could easily provide you with examples of me admitting I was wrong.

You obviously disagree, but I think providing some perspective on how well the Mavs played defense in the past was a necessary contribution to the discussion. I don't think there was a huge culture change on the defensive end.

Are they marginally better? Maybe they are. I wouldn't have a big issue with that statement. But to suggest there was a defensive culture change is a bit extreme, given that Johnson's pre-Casey Mavs were a top 5 defensive team. I think the culture changed a bit. Toughness and experience were a bigger part of the change, in my opinion.

Defense goes hand in hand with offense in basketball.
I agree. For example, during the finals, the Mavs defense was at its best when they protected the ball and avoided turnovers. That minimized Miami's excellent transition game.

This being known as fact, from a purely visual perspective on what I've seen which is as good a measure as any flawed statistic which can't completely separate defense from the game as a whole, the Mavs were the best they've ever been defensively. Obviously just my opinion.
Fair enough. I agree that the visual perspective matters. That's how you catch things like the role of Miami's transition game.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote