Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Raptors Among Teams Calling Suns About Steve Nash before Draft
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
you get so hung up on 'proof' and 'being right' all the time.
I'm sorry you feel that way, although I could easily provide you with examples of me admitting I was wrong.

You obviously disagree, but I think providing some perspective on how well the Mavs played defense in the past was a necessary contribution to the discussion. I don't think there was a huge culture change on the defensive end.

Are they marginally better? Maybe they are. I wouldn't have a big issue with that statement. But to suggest there was a defensive culture change is a bit extreme, given that Johnson's pre-Casey Mavs were a top 5 defensive team. I think the culture changed a bit. Toughness and experience were a bigger part of the change, in my opinion.

Quote:
Defense goes hand in hand with offense in basketball.
I agree. For example, during the finals, the Mavs defense was at its best when they protected the ball and avoided turnovers. That minimized Miami's excellent transition game.

Quote:
This being known as fact, from a purely visual perspective on what I've seen which is as good a measure as any flawed statistic which can't completely separate defense from the game as a whole, the Mavs were the best they've ever been defensively. Obviously just my opinion.
Fair enough. I agree that the visual perspective matters. That's how you catch things like the role of Miami's transition game.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote