Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Smith Not a Fan of Bargnani at SF
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Default Smith Not a Fan of Bargnani at SF

I'd have to say, I'm not a fan either. Doesn't have the quickness and lateral movement to keep up with the likes of Pierce, James, Hedo, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith
Boy, apparently a lot of people listen to the Fan when Bryan Colangelo’s on.

He makes a comment about Andrea maybe playing some three this season and the in-box is filled with comments and questions.

Bargnani a three? Why? Why now? Why consistently? I can see the odd – very odd – occasion when it might work but as a matter of course? I don’t think so. Never have. Can’t imagine I ever will.

Look at it this way: If they are planning to run an offence around the unique high- and low-post skills of Chris Bosh and Jermaine O’Neal to create perimeter space for shooters, who do you want taking those shots?

Andrea Bargnani? Jamario Moon? Jason Kapono?

Seems a pretty easy question to answer from this angle.

Kapono’s a better shooter than either of those two right at the moment – I don’t think anyone out there can debate that – and the benefits of having him on the court alongside O’Neal and Bosh in this case seem to be enormous.

Wouldn’t it make more sense right now to tell Bargnani:

"Hey, big fella, you’re a backup four and five; get in there and create some matchup problems, get your shots when you can and we’ll run a bunch of second-unit offence through you.”

Or, how about:

"Okay, you’ve been a rather abysmal failure as a three already – with the whole transition defence thing going against you – so we’re going to try it again and if it doesn’t work, well, you deal with the blow to your confidence. Oh, and the fans will continue to love you, too, won’t they?”

Me? I’d rather hear the first thing.
Source - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote