Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - NBA Draft Preview: Raptors
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
jeffb
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Representing:

D. Smith doesn't mention Walker at all:

Quote:
So, is this the biggest week of Bryan’s tenure with the Raptors?

You could maybe make that case.

A new coach – first time he’s gone outside the organization to hire one – should be in place any day, there’s a rather significant draft pick to make Thursday night and while it might not be as busy as his first summer, when the signings seem to come almost daily, it should be some kind of metamorphosis of the franchise.

The draft? Well, I think it’s going to come down to who’s there and then a choice between guys who can help more now or guys who have more promise in the future.

The two guys who might be able to step in and contribute immediately would be Brandon Knight and Kawhi Leonard and I know they’re both on the list, with Knight closer to the top that Leonard.

After that, I presume there are a couple of longer term prospects – Jonas Valanciunas and Bismack Biyombo – who are intriguing but probably not ready to step in a play a lot.

Personally? I still think Knight should be their guy but it’s hard to see a scenario where he’s there.

We’ll get into this more as the week unfolds but if it’s Irving and Williams one and two (and I’m not sure what order it’ll be) and then Kanter and Knight in some order at three and four, that’s going to make it a bit of a tough call.

I know one thing: Can’t imagine that Bryan’s worried about the nationality of the guy he picks and I sure wish none of you were.

We’ve always said they should take the guy they think has the greatest amount of talent and it shouldn’t – and doesn’t – matter what his passport says.

The Raptors have a private session set for today with Biyombo (they saw Vesely yesterday but I bet he’s a very big longshot at five) and that may go a ways in determining what they do Thursday.

Doug Smith's Toronto Raptors blog
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote