Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - ivy league applications
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
ive been told both sides. some people say its better to go to the ivy league for your undergrad to build your connections from the ground up, and some say its better to finish with the ivy yet they haven't really gave me reasons why. why do you say that?
I haven't read much else of the thread so I may be putting my foot in my mouth by jumping in at this post.

Starting in Canada is advantageous for many reasons. The close proximity and low cost mean that you are investing (and risking) less. I don't mean this strictly in a financial sense, either. There are a handful of schools in Canada that, certainly at the undergrad level, can compete with top-notch schools across the globe, so I don't think you're gaining anything by leaving.

Grad school is where the differences become a little more obvious. If you study who the top leaders have been historically, you see trends that center on particular programs at particular graduate schools. I personally feel that if you're the type who should go to an Ivy Leage grad school, it won't be a big deal that you went to, say, U of T instead of somewhere else for your undergrad degree.

I'd also like to point out that you shouldn't abandon the idea of a Canadian grad school, either. I know in my field of interest, the U of T, UBC, McGill, and Western are all considered internationally competitive schools for placement in academia.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote