Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - ivy league applications
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
cost is not an issue for me, or at least so it seems. my parents are willing and able to fund the tuition; i'm lucky in that sense.
If this is true, you're very lucky.

Quote:
actually, for law school, if someone were planning to work in the U.S it would be better for them to get their degree their, in the preferred state too. to practice law in a region, you must take the local bar ads and so if you went to school in the region you wish to work, the bar ads would be much less stressfull.
It depends. The point I was making is that it is not automatically better, or necessary, to go to the U.S. There are some circumstances in which you don't have to go. If that region is not New York, Mass., or California, then you will want to go to an American school. But those 3 states I named will allow Canadian graduates to write the exams. I have a relative who does IP and patent related work in California. He graduated from U of T. Some graduates from U of T, Osgoode and McGill end up working in New York and Boston, although those jobs are highly competitive.

If you go to the U.S. for law school, just make sure you do plenty of research before hand. Overall, the American legal job market sucks right now. Some people say that you shouldn't even go to an American law school unless you get into one of the top 8 (things might change by the time you're ready to go). It's high risk, especially given the huge tuition costs as compared to the Canadian schools. That's why if you wanted to work in say, New York, Boston, or California, it would be worth considering going to McGill or U of T. If things didn't work out, you'd still have a good chance to get a very good job in Canada, where the job market is more stable. There are some graduates from top American law schools who end up with mediocre jobs. It's just not as publicized as it should be. The Canadian job market is less risky.

But you know what? It's too early to be worrying about this much. It's probably better to take it one step at a time. A lot can happen at your age; interests can change quickly. Now that I know money is not an issue for you, I'd say just focus on the shorter term goal of getting into the undergrad institution you want to attend. My fault for derailing the convo too much.

Quote:
buisness however i do see from the perspective you're thinking of but i'm afraid i will not be able to make the necessary connections for a job in the 1.5-2 years of the secondary degree. i've heard before from graduates (who have their MBA) as well that most of the connections they built was in the first four years of university so wouldn't it be better, career wise, if i was thinking of working in the U.S, that i attending a U.S school for my undergrad?
I'm going to refrain from commenting any further on this aspect. If money is not an issue for you, that changes things.

P.S.

Take any internet advice with a grain of salt, including what you got here. Consult with your parents and guidance counsellors and do some research before making a decision. But, ultimately, you need to write the SAT and find out if you even have a chance at attending one of those schools. Get an SAT score before you get too ahead of yourself.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote