Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - ivy league applications
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
pzabby
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
That's one of the things I wanted to mention. If this is something you're strongly committed to pursuing, then you should make an appointment with your guidance counsellor and go over a specific set of questions. For starters, the cost of attending such schools and how to fund it. That conversation, of course, could have huge implications for how you approach the SATs.

But there are a number of other things you should be talking to him/her about.

cost is not an issue for me, or at least so it seems. my parents are willing and able to fund the tuition; i'm lucky in that sense. guidance counsellors have always brought me more grief than help yet im going to try and get help anyways. most of the time they just push you the route which requires less work on their part .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
This is an excellent point. In fact, I noticed in another thread that pzabby is interested in law school and business. If he decides to go the business route, it might be better to just go to a Canadian school for undergrad, and if things go well, then think about pursuing the MBA degree at an Ivy school, if he feels it's worth it.

Law is a different issue. If pzabby plans to work in Canada, I see no reason to go to the states for any degree, especially the law degree, since it will cost a motherfucking fortune, and the costs will far out weigh the benefits (assuming he wants to work in Canada). There are some huge differences between law schools in Canada and the U.S, and there are some huge differences between the respective legal job markets of each country. In my opinion, the only reason to go to an American law school would be if he wanted to work in the States. And, even in that scenario, it's not automatically the best decision, because McGill, U of T, and Osgoode are all cheaper than an Ivy school, yet can still open doors in New York, Boston, and California (assuming you get good grades, but grades are also an issue if you went to an Ivy school - you don't automatically get employed in the market of your choice just because you went to an Ivy)
actually, for law school, if someone were planning to work in the U.S it would be better for them to get their degree their, in the preferred state too. to practice law in a region, you must take the local bar ads and so if you went to school in the region you wish to work, the bar ads would be much less stressfull. buisness however i do see from the perspective you're thinking of but i'm afraid i will not be able to make the necessary connections for a job in the 1.5-2 years of the secondary degree. i've heard before from graduates (who have their MBA) as well that most of the connections they built was in the first four years of university so wouldn't it be better, career wise, if i was thinking of working in the U.S, that i attending a U.S school for my undergrad?
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote