Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - NBA's All-time Best Pure Shooters
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Northern Neighbour
is pounding the rock!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Like I said tough call, I wouldn't just use percentage made though otherwise no way Bird should be #1
Bird still had very good to great percentages:
- 49.6% FG
- 37.6% 3-Point FGs
- 88.6% FT

Those are still way above Majerle's numbers.

Let's use a baseball analogy to demonstrate the point that I'm making regarding form, stroke, production, and efficiency. A pitcher could have the best form with repetitive arm action and great stuff, but if he cannot throw strikes, change speeds, and doesn't keep the ball low in the zone, he'll get hit hard. Brandon Morrow is a great example.

Another baseball analogy is a hitter. He could have the sweetest swing in the majors, but if he has a terrible eye or hits .260 with minimal power and a low OPS, who cares if he has a sweet swing?

It's the same thing when speaking about the best pure shooters to ever play the game. It's a combination of form, stroke, production, and efficiency.

BTW, thanks to the other posters who supported my nomination of Petrovic. If he hadn't died at such a young age, he may have been one of the best SGs of his generation. He was an outstanding shooter.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key