Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - NBA's All-time Best Pure Shooters
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Northern Neighbour
is pounding the rock!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
West, as a top 10 pure shooter? No way to that but Mr Clutch for sure. As for Majerle, beautiful stroke. Drazen didn't do nearly enough to be up there. Mullin is not a top 10 of all time. We are talking pure shooter - I disagree with your list probably for the similar reasons you disagreed with mine.
Being a pure shooter also means making a high percentage of your shots. Majerle was not a very good shooter in his career. He was a tough player who in his prime took a high volume of shots. He was a gunslinger, but not a great shooter. We're talking pure shooters here, and Majerle doesn't belong on any top-10 list. For his career, Majerle shot 43.1% from the field, 35.8% from 3-point range, and 74.1% from the FT line. A guy with such pedestrian numbers should not be on any top-10 list of pure shooters.

I also find it ironic that you would say that Majerle had a beautiful stroke but totally discount Mullin's shot. He, too, had a great stroke. Actually, he had much better form than Majerle. The other difference is that Mullin actually hit a higher percentage of his shots (50.9% from the field, 38.4% from 3-point range, 86.5% FT).

Petrovic definitely deserves to be on the list despite him playing only four seasons. If you're using form as one criterion, then Petrovic deserves to be on the list. But factor in his high efficiency and production, he should be in the top-10. Watching him shoot was a thing of beauty.

The other problem with you using 'stroke' as a major criterion is that this would mean a player like Reggie Miller should be excluded from every list because he had an unusual shooting form. On the release, he brought crossed his shooting hand over to the left instead of following through towards the target. No one would teach a young player to shoot in this way, but for Miller he was effective and efficient - two major criteria when assessing who should be considered a sharp shooter and who should not be.

West also deserves to be included. Too many people associate pure shooting with 3-point shooting. But given that the 3-point line didn't exist during West's time, West or any other player of his and previous generations should not be punished for this. West was indeed a clutch player, but he made a big shots from the perimeter. He had a very good stroke, and he was deadly from wherever he was on the court.

On Nash and Nowitzki, I have no problem with seeing their names on any top-10 list. Similarly, I have no problem with seeing someone like Mark Price receive consideration, as well as Steve Kerr and John Paxon, who were great shooters.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote