Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Valanciunas' Buyout To Be Raised To At Least $3M
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
finstock
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
Kanter hasn't played in a long time. Also, his game seems to be developing more as a forward than as a center. There are a few teams that have Jonas higher than Kanter on their draft boards.

Biyombo hasn't had the success that Jonas has. He came out of nowhere and doesn't have much of a resume. He might not even be the age he claims to be. His offense is not just raw, but completely undeveloped. I don't think anyone is expecting Biyombo to be picked before Jonas.

Of the three Jonas is more of a known commodity. He has also had the most success in actual competition.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to what you think the direction of the franchise should be. Personally, I think that the Raptors should solve their issues at the center position before any improvement can be seen on defense, or in the standings. Picking any of Jonas, Kanter or Biyombo would be a good start.

Others prioritize other positions first. I think that's a mistake, since good PGs and SFs can be had by trade or free agency. Bargs/Amir/Davis could land us a good starting PG, but I doubt they could land us a good starting center. There just aren't that many, and teams that have an extra one usually prefer to hang on to them.
Fair enough. But Jonas is a gamble in his own right. Kanter has offensive upside, and Biyombo has defensive upside. Jonas's potential on either end doesn't match Kanter's or Biyombo's.

And from what I've seen, Biyombo isn't hopeless on O. I've seen him knock down the odd jimmy and put the ball on the deck with either hand and finish strong with either hand. Most downplay his offense just because he's compared to Big Ben. And yes, some expect him to go before Jonas.

Quote:
His shot blocking and rebounding prowess are a skill-set that has been woefully lacked by the Raptors for years and from that standpoint, Biyombo would be able to contribute immediately. He is pure and raw potential, or in other words- pure risk, but in a draft that holds no certainties, that risk is minimized.
SLAM ONLINE | Mock: Bismack Biyombo, No. 5
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote