Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Adelman has interest in a job with the Blazers
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
jeffb
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Representing:
Blazers Adelman has interest in a job with the Blazers

Quote:
He isn’t campaigning for the job. With his credentials through a stellar coaching career, he doesn’t have to.

But asked if he would be interested in the vacant Trail Blazers general manager position, Rick Adelman doesn’t hesitate.

“I’d love to talk to them,” says Adelman, fired in April after four seasons as head coach of the Houston Rockets. “I’d be interested in talking to them about any position.”

Adelman pauses, then amends his comments.

“I have no interest in the head coaching job,” he says. “I need to make that clear. They have a really good coach (Nate McMillan). Nate has done a great job.”

Adelman, who turns 65 on June 16, says he has not been contacted by the Blazers. He says he does not know team president Larry Miller. He has not spoken with owner Paul Allen for several years, but feels their relationship is good, even after Adelman’s unceremonious firing following the 1993-94 season.

An original Blazer who played three of his seven NBA seasons in Portland, Adelman served as an assistant on the coaching staffs of Jack Ramsay and Mike Schuler. He took over in 1988 and was the team’s head coach for 5 1/2 seasons, leading the Blazers to the NBA finals in 1990 and ‘92.

Now Adelman has been a head coach in the NBA for 19 years. The travel has worn on him. The idea of working in some sort of front-office capacity in his hometown appeals to him. He and wife Mary Kay have made their offseason home in Dunthorpe for six years, and four of their six children live here.

“I would be more than happy to work with them,” he says. “I’m looking to do something different, with not quite the stress the coaching aspect has. I have an affinity for Portland. Any way I could be involved, I would.”
Adelman would have interest in Blazer GM job
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote