Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Raising a Genderless Child?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Aar_Canada
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Why? I'm curious. A lot of the bullshit associated with the structure of school is helpful for preparing kids for life.

Edit - I guess my feelings on unschooling would depend on how long this goes on, and for how long the kids get to decide what they learn.
I think it would end at a certain point, but I don't know. A lot of the bullshit associated with the structure of school can also turn a kid off. I hated school from the get go but I know for a fact that it would have been a different deal for me if I'd been unschooled or schooled in the Montessori method. My sister (18) and I are very similar. Problems with motivation, turned off easily, but she went to a Montessori school for two years and I fully believe that was the difference. She never hated school. Still had the same problems, but they didn't suffocate her and she wound up being a really good student and is doing what she wants to do now at Ryerson. I went to university for painting, but by the time that rolled around, I was so jaded about school and being taught, I didn't last long. Some thrive in regular schools, some don't. I did not. I was bored and became resentful of the whole idea. If I could school my kid at home I would but thanks to school and everything it did to me, I'd be unable to.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote