Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Raising a Genderless Child?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

Kind of silly thinking on their part, although I admittedly did not read the article in any real detail.

I would say that a proper understanding of modern biology shows that there is not much of a nature/nurture divide. Rather, we are always embedded in an environment that always has some degree of effect on us, right from embryonic development and onwards. That sort of thinking produces the unwarranted view that gender is strictly a social construct.

Also, the parents overrate their ability to guide their child. The idea that they can protect them from gender associations in a society that is full of this sort of thinking is honestly laughable.

I think there is something to be said for gender-neutral parenting, ie. you look at everything through the lens of a person parenting an individual, not a gender. I also think certain arguments intended to prove that something is the "natural" behaviour for things of type x are completely silly (and people also are terrible at arguing in support of things because they're "natural"). So I'm at least somewhat sympathetic with the parents' desires. It's just not clear to me how to accomplish those desires in a practical and meaningful way.

Last edited by Ligeia; 05-25-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote