Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Sun: If Gay is available, expect the Raps to get involved
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
EggsToTheBBQ
useless

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
I can see OJ getting traded before Gay. If Barbosa agrees, why not Barbo/tpe/future pick for OJ? Grizz get their capspace, a good player for a year and a pick. We could take Kanter if available or gamble on Bismack.

Bayless
OJ
DD
Davis
Kanter or Bismack

Grizz will have
Conley
Barbo
Gay
Randolph
Gasol

Good for both
DeMar is far more effective as a SG. He doesn't match up well with a lot of bigger SFs. (Odom, LeBron, Gerald Wallace, Carmelo, Turk, etc.) OJ would be a bench player with the Raptors. I don't think it's a good fit.

Gay has a big contract and the new CBA is coming up. I'm not in favor of bringing him in until the salary structure is in place and the team can plan around a big contract player.

The Raptors are still a rebuilding team. In order, the positions of need are: C, SF, PG, PF, SG (in my opinion)

DeMar is a lock at SG. Barbosa is on his way out, but is doing well in the meantime. Sonny can play, and I still like Julian Wright as a 2/3 off the bench, though I doubt he'll be back. Sonny might be back, I think he will, for cheap, unless something better comes up.

Davis is close to being a lock at PF. Amir's a good back up. Bargs is Bargs (not getting into that argument right now).

Bayless shows potential at PG, and Calderon is holding down the fort quite well in the meantime. Barbosa can be used in emergency situations. It's not a perfect situation, but it's far from being as bad as the next two positions...

At SF we have Kleiza, if he successfully comes back from injury, James Johnson, who's a good role player and has some room to improve. Also, JW and Sonny (previously discussed) There's definitely weakness here, though I would like to see what a fully healthy Kleiza can bring to the table.

At C we have one of the worst Cs on the defensive end in the history of the NBA (you know who I mean). Dorsey is a useful big body, nothing more. Alabi is a project, though to me he looks like a stiff. Ajinca... actually, I haven't completely written him off, he looks sometimes like he can play, he just needs to concentrate on help D and rebounding. If he could get to the rim for some offensive boards instead of hanging out at the three point line it would be nice. Either way, this is the position where the biggest weakness is.

For me, until the center position situation is resolved there is no point in retooling the roster. That is the biggest weakness, and it needs to be solved first. It's been a weakness since Antonio Davis left (a long long time ago) and it needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

There is no moving forward without a good center. All plans need to revolve around resolving this situation. It's a disgrace. 3 D-Leaguers and a guy who doesn't play any defense.

Last edited by EggsToTheBBQ; 05-24-2011 at 10:30 PM.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote