Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Dwyer: Bryan Colangelo is still explaining things
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #38 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofish View Post
Actually, I interpreted his comments to mean that at #3, you would be compelled to go with a consensus choice as someone who might be a franchise player, but who might also flop. At #5, you have more flexibility to either trade down, or pick someone who is less high risk and fills a defined need. Examples might be players like Biyombo or Kawhi Leonard. It would be difficult for a GM to pick them at #3, but if you really like them, you could take them at #5 or trade down a bit and take them.
I agree, and that is what bothers me. At three he has more choices. If he feels he needs his choices narrowed down in order to go with the player that he thinks would be most suitable, and in order to stay away from the player that might be the popular but wrong choice, then what does that say about his abilities? Of course there is truth in the amount of cover he has increasing now, but that in no way should mean that we actually end up with the player at five, that we would want but not pick at three. Not unless selling is entirely what he is about.

So either he is vocalizing thoughts about a silver lining that only represents a benefit to himself and his career, and not the fortunes of the team; or he is providing some indication that his choices are steered primarily by salesmanship. Yuck on both accounts.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote