Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Kanter Doesn't Want to Come to Toronto
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
cloudnine
new, and shiny.

Representing:
Default Kanter Doesn't Want to Come to Toronto

From BDL on Yahoo Sports:

Quote:
Turkish big man Enes Kanter is one of the more intriguing prospects in this year's draft...

To his credit, though, he seems to have a plan of attack for interviewing with his prospective employers: only visit with the ones he wants to play for. This should go great!

That's the report from ESPN's Andy Katz, via Chris Littmann on Twitter:

Interesting, @ESPNAndyKatz said Enes Kanter "stood up" Toronto, Milwaukee, Utah for interviews. Guess he won't interview with them at all.

Word is that Kanter is taken with the Wizards, the team led by his (kind of sort of) Kentucky friend John Wall(notes). Washington DC is a much larger market than any of the cities he skipped out on today, but they also may be several years away from success.

Kanter's Gambit here is pretty clear: he wants to force these teams to pass on him so that he can end up with a city and franchise he likes. It's a strategy Ricky Rubio(notes) employed in 2008 with poor results -- the Minnesota Timberwolves picked him and he has spent the last two years in Spain. Kanter can do much the same and possibly even avoid Rubio's state of limbo. Because he's not currently tied to any team, Kanter can choose to spend another year away from professional basketball and reenter the draft next season.
Sounds good to me. If he doesn't want to come, I don't want to have him.

This is a seriously unprofessional move, though. You haven't played in a year, even if you're not high on some teams you should understand that it's a privilege to be even considered by an NBA team much less a dozen of them. I don't think he's remotely shown enough talent to be pulling moves like this.

Last edited by cloudnine; 05-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.
cloudnine is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote