Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Colangelo: After the top two, the draft holds a lot of murkiness
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
EggsToTheBBQ
useless

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Why Williams, though? Haven't we learned yet the importance of having a world-class PG? Or do you guys think Irving won't be all that?
The PG position isn't that important. Most teams will still draft a dominant forward over a PG, and for good reason.

The PG mostly just initiates the offense and brings the ball up the court. I'm not saying it doesn't take skill, but it has much more to do with intangibles - the willingness to defer to teammates, patience, maturity...

Some outstanding PGs have come from much later in the draft than the lottery, because a lot of them really aren't that physically talented, they just have "high basketball IQ" (they just know how to play the position properly).

For me, I hope we don't draft Irving simply because he experienced an injury that has a high probability of recurring. Obviously, neither him nor his agent, nor his doctors have any incentive to disclose how it could impact his career.

That injury question mark hangs over Irving's head, and I'd rather draft D Will II or Valanciunas. Also, I'd rather not draft a guard with a top pick.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote