Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Hoop fans in hockeyland
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
A close friend of mine is one of the editors of the globe and mail. I will suggest to those of you who are offering comments like "toronto media people are ignorant" that you try to learn a bit more about everything before saying that.

There is a reason the NBA isn't covered as much. That reason is that the demand is low. Period. 21 year old kids aren't out buying papers, their parents are.

People wiser than us are in place to maximize profit for advertisers who are using the papers to promote their brands. low readership means less ad revenue, so trust, they try their hardest to keep as many people happy as they can. It's a REALLY hard business. If the NBA playoffs on page one would result in an increase is sales, thats exactly where it would be.

Funny thing to me.... why do people think it's the Media's job to promote their favourite team or sport, shouldn't the team or league be doing that on their own?
You can make a strong argument that it's a two way street.

As for the rest, yes, you're right, they know who's buying (45+). There's a reason though that basketball coverage is done well online (newspaper blogs etc.) as that's where most of the younger generation will seek their information.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote