Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Perspective on the Raps going forward
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
gnarl
is pounding the rock!

Representing:
Default Perspective on the Raps going forward

Just my two cents for the day.

So we've always had talks that Toronto is not a free agent town, and in the past I may agree with you. However, it seems things are slowly changing in that aspect and it's mostly due to the recent direction Colangelo has done to build on the future and make solid draft picks. DD and ED both shown they have the drive and determination to be big game players in this league and it bodes well for the Raptors going forward. It really is a must that we re-sign Colangelo.

Triano should be kept as the head coach. Barring injuries, this team would've done a lot better than it has this past season. There were times we had the minimum number of players allowed on a roster go out and compete and beat some of the upper echelon teams of this league and I for one, don't think those wins were outliers. This team has heart and believes it can win and compete which it did for most notes. I believe it begins with Triano and people shouldn't judge him on his coaching based on the record last year.

We definitely need to address the AB situation. He's either got to move back to the PF position which I'm not crazy about since that'll mean he's taking time away from ED, be traded, or come off the bench as 6th man. I don't really want the first and third options happening so I'd say we trade AB.

I really enjoy Sonny's game and thought it was really unfortunate when he went down due to injuries last year. He was playing well and would love to see him back off the bench. However, only if the price is right.

If we have a chance, I think we should definitely look to move Bayless if we draft a PG. On a team full of young players, you need a veteran influence and Jose brings just that. I'm not sure why his shooting was so poor last season but it really helps when you have a PG that can pick and pop or throw a crisp pass. If we draft a PG (Irving, Walker, etc) I would start Jose for the first bit till the rook gets more time to adjust to the NBA level of play, then hand over the reigns.

Reggie Evans is one of those players you would love to have on your team and hate to play against. With that said, keep him for vet min (nothing more). I have a small feeling in my gut he will be content with staying here for just that.

One of the things Raptors management needs to do is make sure JJ comes back with a NBA ready jump shot. Judging by his workhard attitude (See JJ quote about Raptors not needing a 3) my guess is he'll start at the 3 next year for the Raps.

The NBA nowadays is a league purely driven on the following things in my opinion:
1) A PG who can run the show
2) A defensive big in the middle (usually the C position but once in a while you have a gem like Ibaka)
3) A player at the 2 or 3 who can create their own shot with consisitency
4) Decent perimeter shooting

The Raps are not far off but not close either. I think in 2-3 years is when we can really start competing. This is one of the key steps in our rebuilding because any contract that is issued foolishly by BC could cripple the Raptors for many years to come. But when it comes down to it, there's nobody else I rather have in my corner, than BC.

Again, just my 2 cents. Feel free to comment.
gnarl is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote