Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Smitch on Hakeem: "There’s never been anyone like him.”
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Default Smitch on Hakeem: "There’s never been anyone like him.”

I'd have to agree with Sam that when it comes to big men, there's been no one with the moves like Hakeem had back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chron.com
Toronto Raptors coach Sam Mitchell grins at the memories of the one training camp (1985) he spent with the Rockets.

“The thing I remember about Hakeem is if practice started at 10, he would get there at 9:45 while the rest of us were stretching and jumping rope to get loose,” Mitchell said. “He would walk on the court, touch his toes once, then throw up the ball and he was the best player on the court.

“On my first road trip to New York in the preseason, he actually made me go shopping with him and bought me, the rookie, some new clothes. I’ll never forget how pleasant he was off the court and what a fierce competitor he was on it.

“The game has had Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar), Shaquille O’Neal and (Bill) Russell. But no big man ever had his footwork, those moves. Hakeem would make moves on people, fake them out of their shoes and literally be laughing as he laid the ball in off the glass. There’s never been anyone like him.”
Source - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote