Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Chisholm Breaks Down BC's Worst Moves
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
DanH
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Representing:

Trouble I have is with Chisholm's suggestion that BC spurned Marion. He offered him a contract! One almost exactly like the one he eventually signed - I believe he ended up with one more year, at slightly less per year than BC offered. Marion simply didn't want to be here.

As for the JO complaint - giving up too much? Clearly he chose the wrong guy to give it up for (in hindsight, I liked the move at the time, it was gutsy), but Chisholm lists those assets way over their value.

A 17th overall pick? That was never going to be more than a (tiny) bit of grease for a bigger trade. So it really is not a trade-able asset in and of itself.

And expiring contracts, more often than not, are used as cap filler in exactly the way Rasho's was used - again, as grease to a) get the trade to work and b) sell the other team on the trade.

Finally, TJ was a perpetually injured, declining point guard, who was way overpaid (remember he was paid roughly the same amount as Jose is, and was never much more effective even at his best, let alone at the time of the trade). What exactly did people expect to get for him? I thought this trade was a good way to solve the TJ issue, while using only minimal assets (one expiring, and a crappy pick) and bringing back something that really excited people about the team. Sure, it blew up in our faces, but at the time it seemed to me like a gamble worth making.

Can't argue with the Kapono signing. Disaster in every sense of the word.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote