Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Player VP Evans: Hard cap not going to happen
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
On a related note, if they don't go with a hard cap, I'd like to see them alter the luxury tax. If you increase the luxury tax to 200%, 300% and 400% above particular levels, I think you can really hammer the teams that spend well above the tax. You could achieve something similar to a hard cap, while still affording teams some breathing room up to the luxury tax. Owners are going to think twice about stacking their bench when they are paying $8 million in tax for a $2 million dollar player.
That'd be pretty cool. I just wonder if the idea of more parity is important enough for the owners to take a hit themselves, or if they are looking for the players to pay the full cost - in which case I would wonder if the idea of parity is really the important factor. There seems to be room for both sides to make sacrifices in order to strengthen the league and the game. It just doesn't look to be where things are going to go though.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote