Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - RF Election!
Thread: RF Election!
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #125 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

typically i am not much of a jeffrey simpson fan. this, though, needs to be read. layton is doing everything he can to make sure it's a long time before i vote ndp again

Quote:
The most irresponsible promise of the election campaign thus far belongs to Jack Layton.

During the French-language debate, searching for nationalist/secessionist voters who lean toward the Bloc Québécois, the NDP Leader pledged to try to reopen the constitutional debate. He would seek to “create winning conditions,” he said, to let Quebec enter the Canadian Confederation.
Quote:
This promise was reckless and dangerous at every level. First, Quebec is legally part of the Canadian Confederation. Second, by using the phrase “winning conditions,” he’s borrowing a loaded expression from the Parti Québécois, whose leaders always vow to create “winning conditions” for secession.

Third, every responsible Canadian leader must know that, after the traumas of patriation, Meech Lake and the Charlottetown accord, the Constitution is the most divisive issue in Canada. To suggest reopening it, without the slightest idea of how to proceed, what to discuss or even a plausible reason why, represents the depth of political irresponsibility.
NDP vows are spoken to be broken - The Globe and Mail
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote