Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Colangelo's Year End News Conference
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuCa00795 View Post
I'm sure when Andrea has ever been accommodated for. When Bosh was here, they were always accommodating Bosh, which forced Andrea to play Center. Last season, Andrea was once again forced to play center, and nothing was accommodated for this guy. He took most of the blame for the defence because people expected a Ben Wallace type center, and that's not what Andrea is known for.

So you would start Davis and Amir over Andrea? I think that's being a little pessimistic toward Andrea. We would have no threat in the post, which would make teams be able to focus more on Demar in their defence. Look at the great teams, they all have at least one offensive big man as a threat in their lineup. Andrea just need some of the pressure relieved which BC has mentioned, right now he's under a microscope because we all are expecting like 25-10, truth is, that'll most likely never happen. If we don't get something of equal value in return offensively, then I can't imagine Davis, Amir or Reggie making up for the offense he puts up and how he spreads the floor.
So Andrea is a threat in the post? And he is invaluable in that he is able to spread the floor? Here's an idea - we stop accommodating a big that refuses to play defense, and doesn't play particularly aggressively on offense, by giving him a spot on the starting lineup and the minutes to go with it. We stop playing games where we rely on jumpshots from our 7 footer, and focus on what any team that wins can depend on every game - defense.

Stop making out like this guy is a natural first option on offense, and therefore irreplaceable. It was pretty clear all last season that we had no definitive first option, and that when Andrea was forced to accept that role he couldn't prove to be reliable. If he is going to have any value going forward, it is going to be in a more limited role - on this team at least.

We are going to have a good pick in the draft. We have tradable assets beyond Andrea. There will be every chance in the world of developing offensive gameplans. And I would love to see a good deal of easy transition baskets coming off of strong defensive play.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote