Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - RF Election!
Thread: RF Election!
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #82 (permalink)
Benzo
hibernating

Retired Administrator

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
that's not wise, that's ridiculous.

as an example, my father, who witnessed and suffered very real oppression as a young person, has voted for all major parties. as he ages he has found increasing sympathy for those facing oppression or for those marginalized into the cracks of our social fabric. he has become increasingly opposed to military intervention around the world, and, as his income has increased and his need of our social safety net has decreased, he has become more opposed to tax cuts and related social service cuts. he recognizes, as a wiser, older man, the necessaity of those services for marginalized people and that the community is more important to him than the selfishness of his own desire to accumulate wealth.

you may or may not agree (ok, you don't agree), but to suggest that wisdom lies in conservatism is appalling.

i would argue that you are more likely to find, these days, youth coopted into the idea of the individual's birthright to wealth generation, and more adults and seniors that understand the vital importance of our social safety net.

the wisdom to be found in older age is not in an entrenched position with only one possibility for your vote. it is found in the ability to conceptualize outside the self and in keeping all options open - right, centre and left.

that mauy just be a saying from which you are trying to make a joke, but it is most definitely not an accurate depiction of reality.
Don't yell at me, yell at Churchill.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote