Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - We really need a C
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
EggsToTheBBQ
useless

Representing:

It's very expensive to grab a good C in free agency or in a trade. Getting a quality C with a clean bill of health can only be done through the draft unless the franchise is especially attractive to free agents (Toronto isn't). I suppose Colangelo could hit the jackpot with a lucky trade for a guy that suddenly turns into a stud, but it isn't likely and we shouldn't be relying on that case.

Kanter is probably closer to being NBA ready, but Valanciunas might have more upside.

Valanciunas might stay a year in Europe, but if there's a lockout that could actually turn into a plus.

I really like Valanciunas' game. He doesn't have much of an isolation game - he doesn't post up or face up especially well. He's a good shooter from 12 feet, though, so he can't be ignored. Also, he's got really good hands around the rim and he hustles like crazy. He's an excellent FT shooter, too.

I think of him as an Amir with better size and length, and a much higher ceiling - nice pick and roll guy that can get a lot of garbage points and defends well when not in foul trouble. He's a bit of a project, but if he keeps improving at the rate he has been he could be a 2-3 year project rather than 3-4.

His role on the team if drafted would be as the 4th big, which could be a perfect role for a rookie big. It's the same role Ed Davis started with this year, and Ed got enough burn to develop nicely.

Last edited by EggsToTheBBQ; 04-11-2011 at 07:12 AM.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote