Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The Fast Break: Johnson Thriving in Toronto
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Acie
landry fields forever

Administrator

Representing:
Raptors The Fast Break: Johnson Thriving in Toronto

Quote:
It’s impossible to know where Amir Johnson would be today had he chosen a college career over the NBA. Every now and then though, even he wonders where he’d been in life. That decision, however, is one no 18-year-old will ever have to make again.

Shortly after Johnson was taken by the Detroit Pistons with the 56th pick of the 2005 Draft, the league tweaked its rules. Eligible players must now be at least 19 years old and one year removed from high school. The new guidelines mean Johnson will forever be a part of NBA trivia as the last high school player selected in the annual event.

Today, Johnson is a 23-year-old, six-year veteran rather than a sophomore. He’s since left Detroit and found a home with the Toronto Raptors, who signed the 6-foot-9 center to a five-year deal last June. Johnson has rewarded the Raptors with a career year.

“I think I’m just getting better with every game, working hard in the off-season and showing a little bit of what I can do,” said Johnson, who is averaging 9.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 2010-11. “I have to get better every year.”

Much of Johnson’s success this year can be attributed to his increase in playing time. That is partly a product of Chris Bosh’s exit to the Miami Heat in the offseason. Johnson has started 54 of Toronto’s 78 games, playing an average of 25.7 minutes a night, all career bests.

“The more he plays and the longer he plays, and actually gets into the game-type situations, it’s going to be those type of things that will accelerate his development” Raptors coach Jay Triano said. “I think he’s gotten better each year and that’s something we hope will continue to happen.”

LINK - NBA.com
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote