Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Do we have the worst owner(s) in sports?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #60 (permalink)
moremilk
whatever

Representing:

three things:

1. ugo knows waaay too much hockey for a real basketball fan
2. why would any fan need to watch the highlights, since he/she is seeing the game live anyway?
3. while I agree there's a line of though that success could potentially damage attendance medium term (it's a lot more fun to follow a team that is reaching for something, once it gets there it could get boring, plus for a team that wins 60 games every season, when they only get 50, fans will call it a failure ... ).

However, in my opinion, the Raptors will GREATLY benefit from becoming a top team. They would get a lot more exposure in the US media and worldwide, especially with our euro reputation. I'm pretty sure the bulk of revenues don't come from attendance, but from tv rights and other sources.

On the other hand, as long as they make a lot of money, it's a risky proposition to go all in trying to win a title, because if you don't, you will lose a lot. I think the people that run MLSE are very smart - they might be a-holes as human beings and all that, but they are not dumb. It's just risk management - when our chances of winning a title improve, so will the chances of them spending more money ...
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote