Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - RF Election!
Thread: RF Election!
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
if there is significant change, then the electorate has spoken and it was important. if not, and if we just end up in the same place afterwards it sends all sorts of important messages -

-that the conservative momentum is still not enough to govern (likely ending the leadership of stephen harper)
-that the electorate has still not forgotten the excesses of the last liberal regime
-that we have a fundamental urban-rural split that must be mended for the country to really move forward
-that our electoral system needs to be changed
-that certain kinds of crises are not important to the public
-that the leadership of all parties needs to change to make any real progress
etc.
great post trane. And I like this list. But I don't expect any of the stuff in it to resonate all that much, other than the possibility of recognizing that not just certain kinds of crises, but just about anything in Ottawa fails to resonate with people.

Now until all the other stuff on that list gets dealt with properly, I think a lot of people see everyone involved as hanging on to something of an empty shell of what the federal government once was. Without a clear new direction and a whole new set of rules and processes, or at least some movement towards such things, it just looks like everything will continue to rest upon a fairly meaningless (if we're lucky) figurehead that operates out of the PMO and negates our voice in any case.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote