Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Wanna feel dumb??
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

i can't say i agree with the hand of god comment...

what this makes me think about is the potential of the human brain and its development. our education system is based on developmental milestones that can clearly be eclipsed by massive margins depending on the circumstances. some kids do things well early, and some late. some pick up certain subjects easily and others with more effort. and this doesn't seem to have a simple genetic link in that you are good at what your parents pass down to you.

how is it that some kids can tap this potential and otehrs cannot? is it simply an issue of brain chemistry? is it 'harnessable' in people who don't have (dis)abilities? is the idea of certain grades at certain ages a total waste of time? should all kids just learn at a pace the is suitable to their level of comprehension?

and on a personal level, am i giving my kid all the right opportunities? if she started out with books of geometrical patterns or colour wheels or had access to music in a way that i haven't thought of, could she be tapping in to parts of her brain that are currently unused? this is not to say that i have anxiety about it, but i find it incredibly interesting to think about the ways this can develop. in thecase of jacob barnett, if he didn't get a book about star and the solar system as a 2 year old, would his brain have developed this way?

Last edited by 'trane; 03-25-2011 at 01:50 PM.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote