Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - A plea
Thread: A plea
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #48 (permalink)
Metallikid
threes and free throws

Representing:

Perhaps LX, but my point still stands that using it as a synonym for idiot is completely legitimate and telling someone not to use it because in their mind it's a word only for labelling the mentally handicapped is ignorant of its other uses and to me, is more offensive to said handicapped as it reduces them to one word.

I'm of the opinion that in a free society it is not on one to be responsible for another's sensitivities because of that person's connotations of a particular word, but that it is more offensive to limit someone's expression because of said sensibilities. And when someone's use of a word offends me I'll ask why that person said it, find out the context and if it's ill-used I'll try to enlighten them as to the proper usage. If it's actually because that person is bigoted then I'll admonish them and won't associate with that person because I will have judged that persons morals to be incompatible with mine.
Metallikid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote