Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Messina may look at being an assistant coach in the NBA
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rimpianto
not here

Tolerate my english

Representing:

What I mean is that for me he's already more than capable of coaching an NBA team
and I totally agree with you about his qualities.
But the NBA is not made only by qualities, is made of status, money, media perception, money, fans reactions, money etc etc.
We all know that many in NBA consider Euro players soft only for being European and
I think this kind of biased misperception would also translate for an HC, expecially because I think 10% of NBA fans know about Euroleague.
From my point of view being an assistant coach for a couple of years is not for learning the technical aspect of the game, he can teach it to many in the NBA, but to learn the different situations, attitude of media and fans and to let people get used to have european coaches.
Just think that here on this board at the mention of Ettore coming to the NBA somebody started questioning if he's capable of speaking english. It's pretty brutal imho but it express the kind of welcome he's going to have.
Rimpianto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote