Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Oklahoma City Cuts Donyell Marshall
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:

I love how thrifty 'Yell is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Examiner.com
He was one of the first big-money players _ along with Glenn Robinson and Grant Hill _ but he’s always had a regular-guy side to him that is sincere and likable. He also defies one of the stereotypes out there about pro athletes _ that they don’t have an appreciation for money.

That ain’t the case with Donyell. Put it this way … you’ll never read about him squandering his millions. Here’s why:

Back in 1995, I was covering the Warriors and it was Marshall’s second year in the league. We were in Dallas, and I was coming back from a late dinner with a colleague.

As I walked through the hotel entrance around 11 p.m., I noticed Marshall on one of the payphones in the lobby, which struck me as strange. I caught his attention, said hello, then asked him why he was on a phone in the lobby instead of in his room.

Marshall took the phone away from his ear and said: “Man, do you know that every time you make a call from your room they charge you fifty cents?”

I told him I knew that.

“I’m not paying that,” he said, and got back to his call. This was after Marshall had signed a nine-year, $42 million contract.

I remember Marshall on more than one occasion expressing concern over young teammates without long-term contracts spending money like they'd be in the league for 15 years. Before you ask, yes, he's paid for a lot of dinners. He is, aftere all, a gazillionaire.

That money came to define Marshall for most of his career. Too bad. He should have been defined for knowing what to do with it.
Source - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote