Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - fossil fool: some certainty
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint

Representing:
Default fossil fool: some certainty

here's some of the latest blog - find it all here - fossil fool

Quote:
Yes there is at least one thing we know for sure: this team is not going to have a winning record. Not a whole lot of people likely care, and for good reason. But there should be something to care about. All I can come up with is getting a good pick. Itís the players yet to be on this team that I care about more than anything else.
Quote:
We have seen them look like a team that can consistently amount to more than the sum of its parts, precisely twice this season - in the win in Orlando, and last week against Chicago. Everything broke just right in both those games, but all the same it was nice to see 48 minutes of executing on both ends of the court. To be able to see more than two games where that happens might lead me to care. And I have to think we need to be seeing it happen at least in bits and pieces for the remainder of the season. The first quarter last night was a good example. Now letís see where they can find some options once the easy scoring dries up, without resorting to one-on-five play. If we donít start seeing more of a team coming together at times, then itís going to be hard to give a passing grade to the coaching staff, or to assess which players are worth keeping. They will be in danger of starting from scratch next season. And that is about as happy a prospect as Franco and Hathaway hosting the Oscars again.

Twenty games doesnít amount to much in the big picture, but they need to be able to extract some possibilities and get a sense of where a little fine-tuning can net a few good results. Right now they are looking through the wrong end of the binoculars altogether, so the fine-tuning knob isnít going to make a great deal of difference for the most part. But there has to be a few moments where they get a glimpse though the small end and gain enough of a sense of the importance of details in making each other better, so that something can be carried over into next season. That is going to be Trianoís challenge. He doesnít need to make me care at this point. He needs to be able to give his players a sense of a bigger picture of what they can care about. Otherwise a lack of details is going to magnify the obvious weaknesses: weíll see guys like Bayless and Barbosa looking increasingly lost, weíll see DeMar and Andrea looking as incomplete as ever, weíll see Ajinca and Weems amounting to little. There needs to be some sense of certainty that can start working itís way positively through the lineup. Thereís not going to be a lot of it - they just need to make sure it doesnít get lost altogether as the season winds down. And to be honest, Iím likely to miss it, because until the sense of a team being pieced together smacks me in the face harder than an ounce of Brut, itís going to be hard to care.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote