Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Hubie Brown discusses the Raptors, and how to coach a young team
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
effin' ineffable

In the Paint

Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I wonder if some of that has to do with young egos though. It's a fine line.

And Hubie was great in Memphis with a young team if I recall correctly.
It's a fine line - yes, but necessary if you are going to "enforce" accountability as Hubie says. The scary part is there is no turning back, because consistency is a must.

And Hubie did good with the young Grizzlies, but eventually had half the team wearing headbands in protest during the playoffs. I think he could have been trying to make too many guys happy the same way Triano seems to too often. Eventually somebody has to be allowed to be a little disgruntled. It's impossible to be entirely fair across the whole team. Somebody is not going to fit for whatever reason beyond their control.

Triano's next big test is going to come with Reggie. Should Reggie get any minutes at this point? I would think it might be best to say no. You could try to force 5-10 minutes a night for him, but does that help him or anyone else? It's not an easy decision, and you can't say it's what's fair according to what he's done in the past, but it's the job of a coach to make some shitty decisions at some point, and to communicate his reasoning well-enough to make it work in the long run.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote