Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Sam Mitchell
Thread: Sam Mitchell
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bag View Post
Well I certainly never said anything ridiculous like that. I'm also open to the idea that maybe with the addition of JO and move to one PG that this might be a more Sam-friendly team. I just didn't like some things I saw last season, i.e. Calderon coming to Sam because he couldn't make the move to start one of the PG himself, Bosh publicly criticizing Sam's tactics in the playoffs etc. I just don't see that type of stuff happening with Phil Jackson (not that he hasn't been out-coached either).
Nice post! Thankyou. I take it back - I can take this kind of post seriously.

There was plenty I didn't like last season as well. I hated the pace of games while Jose was starting, and thought Sam micromanaged too many of those games. I thought the rotation needed to be shortened. And I thought they should have been able to put a winning streak together at some point.

But I also look at stuff that happened, stuff way beyond the Jose-TJ thing, and I think it was pretty incredible that the ship just didn't sink altogether. For one thing, I think Bosh went off the rails a bit with his own frustration, without looking at himself first, and he came up a little short in terms of leadership (which is not surprising all things considered). And the team spent most of the year trying to overcome one bit of bad luck or another, and just were not able to gain any sort of consistent identity. They all knew what was missing, and there wasn't anything to be done about it, but Colangelo and Sam took care of things pretty quickly, and pretty well when the season was done. I think the change in the team will be very big, particularly from a coaching standpoint. There are real options and some real opportunities to make use of the overall versatility in the lineup.

In retrospect they should have maybe seen the shortcomings of this team sooner. I suspect Sam definitely saw the shortcomings defensively. In the balance, I think things could have gone much worse all the way around, and everything worked out for the best, one mediocre season aside.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote