Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Colangelo: We are clearly rebuilding, Jay doing a solid job
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Pretty sure hocke yis showing teams at the top now that could not compete before a hard cap, so it does change for teams that are not managed badly.

Dude... it's hardly a myth. Too hard to list the players that have moved in the entire league that have had an impact since it's a boatload (Shaq being most prominant probabaly). But in Toronto it's McGrady, Camby, Bosh etc. It was way worse when they could afford to leave after 3 years. there might be little they can do here.

At least we agree on the tax. Toronto should have an edge here since it's a a pretty rich franchise but somehow we're just idiots.

PS ... oops I htreadjacked this thing
The reason I asked you to actually take some time and list the stars that have left as UFAs is because, if you had, you would see that it is really not that big. Until this summer, Tracy McGrady was one of the only examples ever of a "max contract" level star leaving via UFA. It just isn't very common to get a star in free agency and that has been understood for a decade now. Look up the facts if you want to confirm it for yourself.

The CBA is designed specifically to keep star players: that is why there are bird rights, 6 year instead of 5 year contracts, and 10% instead of 8% raises. Keep in mind, also, that Shaq's move came before the current CBA, so you shouldn't begrudge the current CBA for that move.

As for the tax, we may not agree as much as you think: I think the Raptors have never been a good enough team to warrant spending into the luxury tax. That's a bit of a value question, though.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote